a poor Royal Ascot from a punting perspective, very little has gone right, apologies, one of those and we will of course bounce-back, yesterday, however, was brutal, nothing allowed us to be entertained from the off, despite our selections being backed in, proving many other more wealthy fools agreed, nothing ran to form.
A strange Royal meeting with plenty to enjoy aside from the betting, Inspiral broke Frankie’s curse, Hayley Turner picked up a winner (finally riding one straight, unlike Fresh Hope the race before) and Mediate and Changingoftheguard kept things ticking over for the mercurial O'Brien & Moore partnership.
Saturday, is the traditional “Heath” day and was once not part of the Royal meeting, extended now however, we have plenty to review, let’s see if fortune does indeed favour the brave and some pennies can be made.
Daily Double 0.25pt EW
3.05 - Noble Truth @9/2
4.20 Creative Force @12/1
The team at Cleeve
2:30 Ascot - 7f Chesham Stakes (Listed Race) (Class 1) (2yo)
- Nothing of real depth in the Chesham, plenty of unexposed types one to watch in main
- Legend of Xanadu, should not be 14/1 more like half that price. The booking of Buick on board is promising, the trip is a question admittedly but if stays will be right in the mix based on speed figures.
3:05 Ascot - 7f Jersey Stakes (Group 3) (Class 1) (3yo)
- The Fav, Noble Truth, looks strong enough in this and at 9/2 is a fair enough each-way price paying 4+ places, Appleby and Buick have had a good week. Appleby has a 20% strike rate over course and distance (7f) and the good to firm ground is very much in his favour, reviewing his Doncaster run from last year.
- Hello You, ran with credit in the 1000 Guineas and is a big price at 25/1, it was only last September again on Good to Firm that she got ahead of Cachet. Expect a run that outstrips the price.
4:20 Ascot - 6f Platinum Jubilee Stakes (Group 1) (British Champions Series) (Class 1) (4yo+)
- We will continue to stick with the Godolphin, the boys in blue, in the Platinum Jubilee Stakes. Creative Force is our first selection, everything is primed for him to have a huge run, Appleby, has a nigh-on 30% strike rate when bringing horses back after a 150+ day rest in June. Furthermore, the speed figures when last seen at Ascot on Champions Day are the best in the book. A nice price and one to get stuck into.
- Highfield Princess is another who looked the part last time out when beating Spycatcher at York, well-drawn and a front-runner expect this selection to get out and stay out under the ride of Jason Hart.
- Finally, another Godolphin, Naval Crown, the price looks ridiculous and cannot be ignored, credible enough behind our first selection last June on soft, he gets his preferred ground today and should make a bold show of it.
5.00 Ascot - 6f Wokingham Stakes (Heritage Handicap) (Class 2) (3yo+ 0-110)
- Blackrod in the Wokingham, not seen since Newmarket in April, when victorious and pulling away at the finish out of Mayson who has a good strike rate over distance.
- A further selection will be Quarantine Dreams, unlike the prior selection expect the jockey to come through the field towards the finish, showing promise over distance at the Curragh before racing over shorter, potentially to protect the handicap mark, I would be surprised if we are not in the finish with both selections come the end.
6:10 Ascot - 2m5½f (2m5f143y) Queen Alexandra Stakes (Conditions Race) (Class 2) (4yo+)
- Trueshan rerouted away from the Gold Cup, stands out on ratings so much, the computer may explode, however you can all find the favourite. Calling the Wind will be our final play for Royal Ascot 2022, Richard Hughes partnering up with David Egan for the marathon, 2mile plus.