the finest week of the Summer kicks off tomorrow with another incredible opening day at Royal Ascot.
The Tuesday of the Royal meeting is as ever, something else. The Queen Anne, Coventry, Kings Stand and then the St James’s Palace Stakes, incredible.
We have selections in every race as each one is of top quality. We have small stakes at big prices and hopefully, we can continue our recent run of form.
Most bookies will be offering all sorts of extra places and concessions so do look around to obtain the best odds you can.
We are also trying something new for this meeting by having a small daily double.
Todays Daily Double
0.5 Point EW Double
16.20 - My Prospero @9/2
17.35 - Cadillac @7/1
The team at Cleeve
14:30 Ascot - 1m (Str) Queen Anne Stakes (Group 1) (British Champions Series) (Class 1) (4yo+)
The opening race is all about Baaeed, some have crowned him the best since Frankel, he has certainly been riveting and is undefeated no matter where he has lined up. At 1/6 he is no bet, however, the each-way opportunity looks too enticing to turn down.
- We will back Lights On who is a cracking price. On the tissue, I had it priced at around 9/1. The Stoute & Kingscote combination continues to go from strength to strength taking in the Derby of course. The selection is given weight by all others which is a plus point.
Most bookmakers will be offering extra places or betting without the favourite so do look around for the best odds and offers.
15:05 Ascot - 6f Coventry Stakes (Group 2) (Class 1) (2yo)
The first of the Ballydoyle fancies of the meeting, Blackbeard runs, however, the head is turned by two selections.
- Bradsell looked great at York, winning over distance. The Archie Watson & Hollie Doyle combination is always one to follow with Watson standing out with a 20% win ratio in the last 2 months and with Doyle on his horses they have a nigh-on identical percentage strike rate.
- Harry Time will be produced very late, victorious in Navan carrying 5lb higher than today, if the race unfolds in his favour, I would anticipate Leigh Roche driving this one in the final half-furlong to the line.
15:40 Ascot – 5f King's Stand Stakes (Group 1) (British Champions Series) (Class 1) (3yo+)
Don’t blink, this furious and glorious 5f feast comes roaring at you in no time at all, a race where you need plenty to go right for you.
I have 3 against the field all at big odds.
- Logo Hunter might just have been plotted for this all along by M J Browne, his best time recorded when successful at Cork, which would be better than all bar our third and final selection below. A massive price… I had expected the horse to be a quarter of the odds.
- Bigger, you say, well how about Saint Lawrence, who will have an equal front-running style to our first selection, another price who on the tissue I expected to be around 30’s, Atzeni has an 11% strike rate at the course, hence if anyone can…
- Lazuli for Godolphin, had an off day at Sandown when last seen, however at Newmarket and Newbury before that looked phenomenal and if tucked away and missing Sandown and sent straight to this after the race at HQ, I would have expected the price would be around 6/1. Lazuli at 25/1 cannot be passed, Appleby has a 27% strike rate in the last week alone and when paired with Doyle, they operate at an even better 30%.
16:20 - 1m (7f213y) (Rnd) St James's Palace Stakes (Group 1) (Colts) (British Champions Series) (Class 1) (3yo)
- The 2,000 Guineas winner, Coroebus looks to remain undefeated in what looks like a very deep renewal.
- My Prospero when last seen at Sandown very much caught the eye and William Haggis operating at a 22% strike rate of late, rarely plots the wrong route for his very best.
- Speaking of strike rates that stand out, the Gosden Father & Son duo saddle Mighty Ulysses who has the mercurial Frankie Dettori on board who rides this meeting better than nigh on anyone else.
17:00 - 2m4f (2m3f210y) Ascot Stakes (Heritage Handicap) (Class 2) (4yo+ 0-100)
- The first handicap of the meeting, with plenty of National Hunt trainers, attempting to win a Royal Ascot pot.
- Scaramanga for Paul Nicholls, placed at the course with Frankie on board when first at Ascot and then again with Bryan Carver this time hurdling, a run to the level we once saw on the flat would be on par with all the well-fancied horses.
17:35 - 1m2f (1m1f212y) Wolferton Stakes (Listed Race) (Class 1) (4yo+)
- We will hopefully be riding high, by the time Cadillac runs for us in the Wolferton, the horse looked blistering at Leopardstown on reappearance this season and is well drawn and will be tucked in behind the leaders and will come in from mid-division.
18:10 - 1m6f (1m6f34y) Copper Horse Stakes (Handicap) (Class 2) (4yo+ 0-105)
- Bandinelli for Appleby, Buick and the boys in blue, stands out and should go very well, down in the weights and with headgear applied for that little bit more focus, a big run is anticipated.
- Appleby when applying headgear, which does very sparingly, has a 25% strike rate on the first attempt.