The short answer is that of course there are no guarantees to winning... if there were, we'd all be rich, and there would be no bookmakers! Bookmaking is purely a numbers game, and the reason there are plenty of bookmakers, is simple, there are a lot more 'mug punters'!
It is your job, to take some responsibility for your betting...
I want to repeat that...
it is your job, to take some responsibility for your betting.
No one can make you bet, but bookmakers will try, try, and try again to tempt you into placing bets.... they will try every hour of every day. And as an industry, they will more than happily spend millions of pounds doing this. But only as long as that marketing investment equals less money than punters lose.
Take a step back and you will clearly see this, they screen an event every few minutes... football, horse racing, dog racing, virtual racing (dogs, cars, horses etc.), lotto, FOBT machines... you name it, they do it.
It's about turnover and the higher the turnover, the higher their profits. So the more bets that are placed, the higher the turnover, the higher their profits. So the more events to bet on, the more bets that are placed, the higher the bookmakers profits. So 'more events to bet on' is the key to bookmaker profits (and screw all the 'gamble responsibly' baloney).
And the reason it is, is bookmakers know that the majority of punters have little or no self-control... and they are right!
DO NOT BE PART OF FUNDING THE BOOKMAKING INDUSTRY!
It is simple, it is also 100% true... the more bets you make, the higher the chance you are a loser.
I'm sorry if this all sounds a bit sensationalist, but it's the biggest thing that punters need to realise... bookmakers cannot make you place a bet, only you can!
some useful pointer's for losing punters include...
- The first priority is not to lose money, the second is to win...
- When you have backed a winner, it is not bookmakers money, it's yours... so keep it in your pocket
- Needless to say... don't chase your losses.
- Both the two factors above create a tendency to increase your stakes.
- This is a long game, you can't win every day... accept it!
- If your strike rate is 35% winners, the odds are you are a winner... this also means 2 of 3 bets lose.
- Only bet when you think you've got a very good chance of winning
- Only go into a bookies if you have to...
- Open multiple bookmaker online accounts to maximise your chances.
- If you don't actively seek the best prices, extra places and offers... you're giving money away!
We'll be back with part two soon... but think about what we have said, and email us if you have any specific questions.
The team at Cleeve